You are currently browsing the trash tag.

The rotisserie chicken carcass fiasco

posted June 13th, 2013 by
  • Share

My dogs like trash. They like to get in it, eat it, spread it all around the house and then pee on it. I’m sure they are in good company with many other dogs in this world.

It is for this reason that I have invested much time and money in trying different trash cans and arrangements.

And I thought I had them beat. It’s been more than a year since I have come home to rotting food, empty containers and other yucky stuff strewn about the house.

Until the other night.

We had rotisserie chicken for dinner. It was delicious and our little family ate it all. We had some place to be that evening and so I tossed the remains —an entire chicken carcass!— in the trash without a second thought.

Apparently the lure of those rotisserie chicken bones was enough for my dogs to break their streak of good behavior and figure out how to break into the trash can.

Four hours later, my family came home to trash everywhere. But the one thing I couldn’t fine, of course, were the chicken bones. There was not one shred of evidence of my family’s dinner that night.

I was distraught. Have you ever Googled ‘my dog ate chicken bones’? Don’t, because everything you will read is scary. And rightly so. Pet owners are advised not to give their animals cooked bones —especially chicken bones— because of the risks of the bones splintering.

Choking and punctured organs are just a couple of the potential negative outcomes.

My dogs clearly hadn’t choked, they were running around happy as could be with full bellies. And that made me angry. Yoda wasn’t going to die from the tumor on his heart… he was going to puncture his intestines with splintered chicken bones!

A visit to the vet the next day revealed all to be fine. In fact, our veterinarian said the fact that we were not home at the time was a good thing.

Owners who catch their dog in the act and surprise them will often unintentionally cause their dog to quickly eat and/or swallow the bones. Which is more likely to lead to choking and punctured organs.

Our dogs, on the other hand, had four hours to chew on and savor those chicken bones. And apparently they chewed them quite well.

Lauren Cavagnolo, [email protected]